Here is a list of the Chief Ministers of Tamil Nadu as per the year they took office & a brief description of their best contributions:
- C. Rajagopalachari (1952-1954): He was the first Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu after India’s independence. During his tenure, he implemented several welfare schemes for people. This may include free mid-day meals for school children and introduced several reforms in the education system.
- K. Kamaraj (1954-1963): He is known as the “Kingmaker” of Tamil Nadu politics and is credited with familiarizing several welfare schemes, including the “Kamaraj Plan” for free and compulsory education for all children up to the age of 14. He also played a key role in the growth of the Tamil Nadu Congress Party.
- M. Bhaktavatsalam (1963-1967): He introduced several reforms in the agriculture sector, including the distribution of free seeds and fertilizers to farmers. He also initiated the construction of numerous dams and canals for irrigation purposes.
- C.N. Annadurai (1967-1969): He was the first Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu from the Dravidian party, DMK. During his tenure, he executed numerous welfare schemes, including free school uniforms for children, and introduced several reforms in the education & healthcare sectors.
- M. Karunanidhi (1969-1976, 1989-1991, 1996-2001, 2006-2011, 2016-2021): He was a prominent leader of the DMK and is known for his contributions to Tamil literature & cinema. During his tenure as Chief Minister, he introduced several welfare schemes like free electricity for farmers and the distribution of subsidized rice to the poor.
- M.G. Ramachandran (1977-1987): He was a prominent actor-turned-politician and founder of the AIADMK party. During his tenure, he introduced various welfare schemes, including distributing free bicycles to school children and constructing several hospitals & health centers.
- Janaki Ramachandran (1987): She was the wife of M.G. Ramachandran. She served as Chief Minister for a brief period after his death.
- J. Jayalalithaa (1991-1996, 2001-2006, 2011-2016): She was a prominent leader of the AIADMK party and the first woman Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. During her tenure, she implemented several welfare schemes. It includes distributing free laptops to students and constructing several affordable housing projects for the poor.
- O. Panneerselvam (2001-2002, 2014-2015, 2016-2017): He served as the interim Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu on three occasions reference to the death of M.G. Ramachandran and J. Jayalalithaa.
- Edappadi K. Palaniswami (2017-2021): He was the last Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu before the 2021 assembly elections. During his tenure, he served by distributing free laptops to students and providing subsidized loans for women entrepreneurs.
- M. K. Stalin (7 May 2021 – Present): M. K. Stalin is the current Chief Minister of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. He assumed office on May 7, 2021, after his party, the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK), won a majority in the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly elections held in April 2021. This is the first time that Stalin has become the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, although he has held various other positions in the state government and the DMK party. Stalin succeeded Edappadi K. Palaniswami as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
Hence, these are the notable Chief Ministers of Tamil Nadu and their contributions to the state’s development.